Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Obama SNL Skit

This skit is fairly funny, if only because Horatio Sanz makes a dead ringer for Bill Richardson.

Dalton grads among you ought to pay special attention to who plays Dennis Kucinich - it's our classmate and now SNL writer Simon Rich (appears at about 3:45 of the clip; thanks to Ed and Cav for calling this to my attention).

Probably unbeknownst to SNL producers, Simon and Kucinich share more than baby-faced looks. About two years ago Simon introduced a young lady to me as his girlfriend who was both strikingly attractive and nearly a head taller than he was (no idea whether they are still together). In this she resembled YouTube star and long-shot potential First Lady Elizabeth Kucinich. Video of Ms. Kucinich is available here.

That coincidence aside, the SNL skit does warm me slightly to the idea of a President Kucinich: four years of Simon playing Kucinich would produce far more laughs than four years of Amy Poehler playing Hillary Clinton (even beyond the laughs that a President Kucinich would himself generate). If journalists in 2000 justified casting one's vote on the basis of "who you would want to have a beer with," why can't I throw my support behind the candidate I most want to see mocked on late-night TV?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I live Simon Rich! And sadly I missed that SNL skit he was in, and your link no longer works because they took the video off of youtube. I have been searching for it, so if you find it again, could you re-post it? thanks!